OK, I'm the new kid on the block and already I've been tagged...(shouts of "no fair") Guess the newbies don't get it easy, huh?...nah, just kidding :) Anyway, I've been tagged by Kathy of "A Passion for Food". Seems that the rules are: (1) Each participant posts eight random facts about themselves. (2) Tagees should write a blogpost of eight random facts about themselves. (3) At the end of the post, eight more bloggers are tagged. Go to their blog and leave a comment telling them they're tagged.
8 random facts about me:
1) I don't like eggs. (Gasps of horror from the crowd!) Yeah, I'm weird. When I was a little kid I just couldn't stand the taste of eggs and now, I'll probably gag if I tried to eat one. Guess it became a psychological thing...but anyway, less cholesterol, right? The weird thing is that I won't eat one fried, scrambled, boiled, in an omelette etc., but it's OK in baked goods, etc. My wife laughs when I pick the pieces out of fried rice. I would never last as a judge on Iron Chef.
2) I'm a candy addict. Yup, it's true. I'm trying to be healthy but hey, candy is a food group, right? And, there's no fat and mostly low sodium content in most candies (the non-chocolate kind). And I keep dark chocolate on hand too...72% cacao...supposedly full of antioxidants, good for you... And I love to experience all those new kinds of candies. Hey, gotta get my daily fix...
3) I'm a gamer. Have always loved to play video games and even if I'm older now, I'm still into it. Haven't bought the new consoles yet...no PS3 or XBox360(waiting to see how much the price drops) but we do have a Wii(lots of exercise)...and I used to own almost everything else...and what I didn't get rid of, I still pull out once in a while to play...original Nintendo or Super Nintendo anyone?...and I have Japanese versions too...plus I play on the computer (I don't only read food blogs every night)...have a collection of computer games...and I'm into Guild Wars (a MMORPG) and am a proud member of the Imperium of Lazy Nation, an alliance of 10 guilds, the largest in the Guild Wars world. (I know, I know...typical guy thing)
4) I love watching cartoons. I used to watch them all growing up and now I watch periodically with my kids. We're also into Japanese anime. (my kids think it's great...a dad who plays games with them and watches cartoons too).
5) Animal lover. I always grew up with pets but since I've been married, we've been through cats and dogs, mice, turtles, fish. No birds, rats, guinea pigs, or rabbits, yet. At one time, we had about 10-15 cats (two had litters and we waited for the kittens to grow a bit before giving them away). Now, we just have 3 dogs and 1 cat. They all live in the house and are great companions.
6) Grew up in Waipahu. It's a small town on the leeward side of Oahu that centered around the sugar mill that was built there. People always used to mistake me for a "townie" and was surprised that I grew up there.
7) I don't like cilantro (gasps of horror again!). Yep, don't like it...sorry, all you cilantro lovers. I can tolerate a little bit, like in salsa but in anything else at higher levels, it makes me gag...serious... I think it stems back from when I was little, I ate chow mein that had some cilantro hidden in it and bit into a huge piece. The flavor was so strong, it marked me for life. I ran to the bathroom to throw up. To this day, cilantro just makes me gag...and that's for real. Some people tell me that it's an acquired taste and I believe that. Makes it hard when I eat some asian foods (excuse me, can I get that with no cilantro?...you know, chinese parsley? - server looks at you strangely) . Hmmm...one more reason I can't be an Iron Chef judge :(
8) OK, last one... I'm definitely a night person. I go to sleep late (most times after midnight) and I sleep for very few hours as I'm up at least by 5 or so in the morning (that's when I take out the dogs). I don't sleep a lot and can get by easily with 4 hours sleep nightly. I've been doing this from when I was young and am just used to it. So, where ever I go, I'm the last to sleep and first to get up...so you definitely don't want to travel with me...
OK, hope you all don't mind...this being my first tag or meme...I don't have much blogs that I read on a regular basis and I think they're all tagged already so I'll bend the rules a little and not tag anyone. Maybe in the future, I'll know more blogs so I can pass on the tag...so everyone, beware in the future :)