Sunday, July 29, 2007

What I'm Eating - Truffle Oil

Here's my latest indulgence... truffle oil. I was reading an article and it just sounded so good so I went out and bought some... Went to R. Fields in Kailua and picked this up.



Of course, I researched it first... I found an entry on the Wikipedia and read other articles & recipes on the internet. Seems there's this controversy where a lot of truffle oils are actually artificially created using molecules that make up that great flavor of truffles. Here's a good article from the NY Times. Makes you kind of wary. Anyway, this is supposed to be a good brand. I've been using it all week as we had grilled a huge amount of steak and vegetables earlier and ate leftovers for a couple of days...it was great on those. The taste is very earthy and the aroma is very very strong(my wife & daughter said that it was stinky, lol)...to me, it's kind of like mushrooms on steroids...but don't get me wrong...in the right amount, it really enhances the dish. You can't overdo, just a little drizzle is enough. Next, I'm looking for truffle salt...it's supposed to be awesome on popcorn (drool) :)

No comments: